Located 23 miles east of Sedro-Woolley along Highway 20 is the proud town of Concrete with a population of approximately 900 residents. After a number of name changes between 1890 and 1909, the town name of Concrete eventually stuck. The Washington Portland Cement Company and the Superior Portland Cement Company supplied the materials to build the Gorge, Ross and Diablo Lake Dams, and were opened in 1905 and 1908 respectively. The town is home to a number of historic buildings and the Henry Thomas Bridge. When completed in 1918, the bridge was the longest single span cement bridge in the world and is listed on the Washington State and National Historic Registers.
The Cascade Trail parallels Highway 20 and occupies the route of an abandoned railroad that was built in 1900. The trail is 22.5 miles in length and connects Concrete to Sedro-Woolley. The surface is crushed rock and is open to those on horseback, bicyclists, runners and walkers.
Cascade Days Celebration
Taking place in August, Cascade Days has something for everyone. With parades through town, firefighter and logger competitions, car show, kids activities, live music and more, be sure to schedule a trip “up river” during this weekend to enjoy the festivities.
Originally opened in 1924, the Concrete Theatre has had a colorful past, serving as the entertainment center of Concrete and Eastern Skagit County. In 1987 the theatre was added to the Washington State Historical Registry and while there have been many years in which the theatre was not in operation, scheduled showings started in February 2010 with digital projection equipment added in 2012.
Originally established in the early 1900’s, the Concrete Herald covered news and activity in Eastern Skagit County until 1989. After being dormant for 20 years, the paper was revitalized with support from the local community and the efforts of Jason Miller, a local freelance writer and resident of Concrete. Be sure to pick up a copy while you are in town or visit www.concrete-herald.com.